Clairemont (or Clairemont Mesa) is a community within the city of San Diego which has a population of about 81,600 residents and an area of roughly 13.3 square miles. Clairemont Mesa is bordered by Interstate 805 on the east, Interstate 5 to the west, State Route 52 to the north, and the community of Linda Vista to the south. The community of Clairemont Mesa can be subdivided into the neighborhoods of North Clairemont, Bay Ho, Clairemont Mesa East, Clairemont Mesa West, and Bay Park.
In 1950, Lou Burgener and Carlos Tavares developed what would become one of the largest post-war planned communities in the nation. It was marketed as “the Village within a City.” The first homes sold for $13,000 to $20,000, often to military and aerospace workers. Most of the homes are tract houses, and many have taken on the
personality of their owners with upgrades over the years.
How it got its name: It was named after Tavares’ wife, Claire.
Landmarks: The community is bounded by open space corridors: San Clemente Canyon to the north and Tecolote Canyon to the south. Both offer hiking and a refreshing escape from the city. Some fine examples of mid-century modern architecture can be found here, including the Clairemont and North Clairemont public libraries, the Thomas & Bros. Auto Center and three churches on Clairemont Mesa Boulevard — Clairemont Lutheran, First Baptist and Northminster Presbyterian.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.